All dogs in Queensland must be registered with Council. Dogs must be microchipped prior to registering with Mareeba Shire Council.
Dogs in the Mareeba Shire must be registered with Council:
- upon reaching three months of age
- prior to the expiry of the current registration
- within 14 days of obtaining your dog (if the dog is older than three months of age)
- within 14 days of moving into the Mareeba Shire Council area.
Dog registration is a requirement of State legislation outlined in the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008.
Additionally, registering your dog is a safeguard for your pet to be returned if it becomes lost. Registration fees help provide animal management related services to the community including the provision of animal shelter facilities and staff capacity to deal with animal related services and emergencies.
How to Register my dog:
- Complete the online registration form or download and print the PDF registration form. Alternatively, you may ask for a form at a Council Customer Service Centre.
- Submit your completed form to Council with proof of microchip number and de-sexing (if applicable)
- Pay applicable fees
- Receive tag and attach it to dog collar
- Keep Council up to date on any change of address/ownership/phone numbers
You MUST within 14 days, inform Council in writing, of any changes to your dog’s registration details, including:
- If it is kept at a new property address
- If your contact numbers have changed
- If you have had your dog desexed
- If you have left the Mareeba Shire
- If your dog has died
- If you have given your dog away (change of ownership)
Failure to advise Council of changed circumstances may result in the issuing of a penalty infringement notice.
Animal Registration Renewals
Animal registration renewals occur in June of each year. The yearly registration period runs from 1 July to 30 June each year. To receive renewal notices by email, please contact Council on 1300 308 461 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration renewal can be paid by BPay, by mail, by phone or over the counter.
Failing to renew your dog’s registration by 30 June may result in the issuing of a penalty infringement notice.