Claiming your impounded animal
If your pet has been impounded, you can claim them back by contacting Council on 1300 308 461 or attending one of Council’s Customer Service Centre at 65 Rankin Street Mareeba or 18-22 Arara Street Kuranda.
- A dog is held for a period of five days
- A cat is held for a period of three days
- Livestock are held for a period of five days
Prior to collecting your animal from the Mareeba Animal Refuge, you will need to attend one of the Council’s Customer Service Centres to;
- Pay the relevant impound release fee
- Pay sustenance fees to cover the time your animal spent at the refuge
- Register your dog if not already registered
- Organise a microchipping appointment if your animal requires one.
Please be advised that you may receive a penalty infringement notice if the animal was in breach of Council’s Local Laws.
Note: it is the owner’s responsibility to appropriately deal with any dispute over the ownership of the animal. Council will reference registration and microchip records to determine the legal owner.
After the required holding period, if an animal is unclaimed it becomes the property of Council.
- Cattle may be sold at the weekly Mareeba Saleyard sales
- All other livestock may be sold through a Council auction, put up for adoption or as a last resort, if not suitable for rehoming be euthanised.
- Dogs and cats may be put up for adoption or as a last resort, if not suitable for rehoming be euthanised.