- After long term membership of a Local Tourism Organisation with a regional remit, feedback from many operators is that a dedicated LTO model focussing on the Mareeba Shire’s tourism industry is required. Thus, the Mareeba Shire Tourism LTO was born.
- The LTO was launched in February, followed by a Tourism Think Tank in March (over 50 Mareeba Shire tourism industry stakeholders attended this event).
- The Tourism Action Plan was pulled together based on the input from Stakeholders at the Think Tank.
The Purpose of the LTO
The purpose of the LTO is to focus on promoting the visitor experience in the Mareeba Shire – it is not about developing a specific brand or destination at this stage.
- Industry Networking and Capacity Building
- Digital & Social Media
- Media PR
- Mareeba Shire Tourism is currently auspiced by the Mareeba Chamber, and with minimal funding, primarily supported by Council.
- Run by a committee made up of partner organisations Kuranda Traders Association, Heritage Centre and Mareeba Shire Tourism Taskforce.
- This model is an interim step with a standalone organisation being the ultimate goal.