Assistance is available to residents, businesses and industry impacted by TC Jasper and the subsequent flooding. Please view the information below for more details and links to the relevant sites.

State and Federal government assistance is available to:

  • Individuals, families and households;
  • Businesses;
  • Tourism businesses;
  • Primary producers and the agricultural sector.

Please click on the titles below for further support information for Tropical Cyclone Jasper and the flooding event.

Community Recovery Connect Workers

Mareeba Shire Council is pleased to announce that Community Recovery Connect Workers (CRCW) have been appointed to support flood-affected residents in the recovery from the flooding events of December 2023.
Funded by the Department of Communities, these roles will be based at the Mareeba Community Centre and Kuranda Neighbourhood Centre.
Council advocated for additional support for the Mareeba Shire, and we are very pleased with this outcome.
The Community Centre and Neighbourhood Centre are well placed to provide this support across the Mareeba Shire.
Residents who have been affected, consider how the support workers can assist you.
Whether it is linking you with services, funding or items and equipment, the CRCW provides a flexible, one-stop-shop to support all residents who were affected.
Mareeba Community Centre: Siale Jenkins, 4092 1948 or 0490 109 101
Kuranda Neighbourhood Centre: Jade Falvo & Eleanor Gilkerson, 4093 8933

Supporting Young Children after a Natural Disaster with Birdie’s Tree Storybooks

Read how Birdie, Mr Frog and their friends help each other through hard times and natural disasters such as floods, fires and illnesses.
Developed by Children’s Health Queensland for children aged 0-6, books include “Birdie and the Cyclone”, “Birdie and the Storm”, “Birdie and the Flood”, “Birdie and the Very Hot Day”.
Resources include a digital flip book, animation, Auslan interpretation, and languages other than English.
The website includes natural disaster resilience resources for families.
Visit Birdie and the flood | Children’s Health Queensland to access this free resource.
For additional support, visit:

Queensland Government Disaster Support and Recovery for Individuals and Families

Telephone: Community Recovery Hotline 1800 173 349.


Essential Household Contents Grant
One-off payment for households who are uninsured or unable to claim insurance as a contribution towards replacing or repairing essential household contents e.g. bed linen and white goods.  Up to $1,765 for single adults and up to $5,300 for couples/ families.  An onsite assessment of damage will be conducted and photographic evidence of items is required before disposal. More eligibility criteria online, including income test.

Essential Services Safety & Reconnection
To help owner/occupied households that are uninsured or unable to claim insurance to reconnect essential services that were damaged by a disaster. Up to $200 towards a safety inspection for each essential service needing reconnection (electricity, gas, water and sewerage or septic system) and up to $4,200 towards repair work.

Structural Assistance Grant
One-off payment towards the cost of repairs to or contribution to replacement of dwellings to ensure the home is habitable, secure and safe.  An onsite assessment of damage will be conducted Up to $50,000. More eligibility conditions online including that you are uninsured or unable to claim insurance.

How to Access Financial Assistance

  • Apply Online at: follow the links to the Community Recovery Grants Portal. To apply online you will need: proof of ID e.g. drivers licence or Medicare Card; bank account details, valid email address.
  • Community Recovery Hotline: 1800 173 349

More information:

Replacing Lost or Destroyed Documents

Various agencies provide free document replacement to people who live in a declared disaster area.

Births, Deaths and Marriages documentation, licences, passports, and family law documents.

For further information please visit: Replacing lost or destroyed documents | Community support | Queensland Government (

Home Assist Secure

Is a service for Queenslanders aged 60 years and over, or people of any age with a disability, who can’t undertake or pay for critical home maintenance without assistance.

This service provides safety-related information, referrals and subsidised assistance.

Your local Home Assist Secure service can provide information about, home maintenance, repairs, minor modifications, safety and security upgrades, other assistance that the Queensland Government provides.

Staff can also help you, employ tradespeople to do repairs or modifications, plan future work.

For eligibility criteria please visit:  Home Assist Secure | Homes and housing | Queensland Government ( or contact local provider, Tablelands Home Assist Secure, Phone: 07 4091 4512, Email: for more information.

Housing Assistance

Temporary Accommodation – If you need help finding temporary accommodation call the Community Recovery Hotline 1800 173 349.

Financial Assistance – Mortgage relief loans of up to $20K can help you meet your home loan repayments while dealing with unexpected changes in circumstances. You may also be eligible for a bond loan if you need to move into private renal accommodation.  A rental grant can help you meet the costs of moving into a private rental accommodation.

More information: Housing help after a disaster

RentConnect – RentConnect officers can help you:

  • prepare an application and apply for private rental properties
  • find suitable properties
  • make referrals
  • help you sustain a tenancy in the private market.

More information about help with housing, including repairing your home and advice for cleaning up after a disaster: Housing help after a disaster

Australian Government Support for Individuals and Families

Services Australia offered lump sum payments and ongoing, short-term allowances to help people affected by this disaster. The claiming period for these payments closed on 17 June 2024.

Late claims will only be accepted in exceptional circumstances. To claim, call the Emergency Information Line

A disaster can have a physical and emotional impact on you and your family. If you’re going through a difficult time, our social workers can provide short term counselling, information and referrals to support services. Read more about social work services. Read about additional help if you’ve been affected by a natural disaster.

Centrelink Debt Repayments

People in the Mareeba local government area can also pause or change their Centrelink debt repayments using the Money you owe service online in either their Centrelink online account, or Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. Alternatively call 1800 076 072.

Small Business Support

The Queensland Government, through the Department of Employment, Small Business and Training, is here to provide support to small businesses impacted by ex-tropical cyclone Jasper.


  • Disaster Assistance Loans of up to $250,000 are available to assist primary producers, small businesses and non-profit organisations with re-establishing normal operations. Disaster Assistance LoansApplications close 31 December 2025.


  • Disaster Assistance (Essential Working Capital) Loans up to $100,00 are available to assist primary producers, small businesses and non-profit organisations with essential working capital for expenses. Disaster Assistance (Essential Working Capital) Loan. Applications close 31 December 2025.



  • Free mentoring for recovery and business support – free access to industry experts from across Queensland who can provide insights, options and suggestions to help your business recover and grow. Find out more: Mentoring for Growth program | Business Queensland


  • Small Business Wellness Coaches – Access support for your mental health and well-being when recovering from a natural disaster.  Free one-on-one wellness coaching is available to help small business owners with unique and personal business challenges, needs and opportunities. Read more:


  • Small business financial counselling – Businesses experiencing or at risk of experiencing financial hardship can access free, impartial and confidential support, including cash flow planning, budgeting and insolvency advice:



Primary Producer / Agriculture Industry Support

Financial assistance is being made available to primary producers in areas impacted by ex-tropical cyclone Jasper.

For more Information, call 13 25 23 or visit: Ex-Tropical Cyclone Jasper support for primary producers | Business Queensland

  • What you need to apply for disaster recovery assistance: photos and video evidence, personal identification, rates notice or lease agreement, financial statements / tax returns / bank statements, details of your insurance.




  • Disaster Assistance Loans of up to $250,000 are available to assist primary producers, small businesses and non-profit organisations with re-establishing normal operations. Disaster Assistance Loans.


Other Support

Legal Aid

Legal Aid’s When disaster strikes—cyclones, storms and floods guide helps Queenslanders with their insurance claims after a storm, cyclone or flood. It gives information on home building and contents insurance policies.

Recognise scams and dodgy traders relating to natural disasters.

GIVIT – Queensland flooding assistance

Donate items, funds or time here:

Need help? Visit:

St Vincent De Paul

Disaster Recovery Assistance: Phone 1800 846 643 or visit

Donate to the Vinnies Cyclone and Flood appeal here: Vinnies Appeal

Community Recovery Support Services FNQ 

A comprehensive list of Regional Community Support Services in the Mareeba District is available here: Community Support Services Brochure Mareeba (

Insurance Council of Australia

The Insurance Council of Australia is the representative body for General Insurers and Reinsurers in Australia. They do not provide individual advice on general insurance products.

Starting a clean up after a flood: What to do when you return to your property after flood – Insurance Council of Australia

Australian Financial Complaints Authority

Do you have a complaint about your Insurer?  If you’ve lodged a complaint with your insurer and are not happy with the outcome, contact the Australian Financial Complaints Authority for advice, visit: Floods and storms disaster support | Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) or phone 1800 931 678.

Read AFCA’s factsheet about flood claim decision complaints here.

Complaints about flood claim decisions

When considering complaints about flood claim decisions, AFCA will evaluate all the available information to determine if the insurer’s claim decision is fair in all the circumstances. If your complaint is about a flood claim decision, you should provide the following information as early as possible in the complaint process:

  • photos and videos of property and damage
  • CCTV footage if available (particularly in industrial, commercial, or shopping areas)
  • information about timing of the inundation, direction of water flow, and clarity and colour of the water
  • information from neighbours who may have a recollection of the timing and direction of the flood water(s).

Australia Post – Free 12-month mail redirection for special circumstances

If you’re in charge of a deceased estate or are a victim of domestic violence or a natural disaster within Australia, you may be eligible for free mail redirection.

Free 12-month mail redirection for special circumstances – Australia Post (

Sport and Recreation Disaster Recovery Program

The Sport and Recreation Disaster Recovery Program is now open for applications. Applications Close: 8 August 2024

A grant of up to $5000 is available for:

  • replacement of damaged equipment that directly relates to the re-establishment of activities (including office and canteen equipment)
  • payment of services and hire costs, and purchase of equipment and tools that assist in short term clean-up of facilities
  • reimbursement for the purchase of the above made from the date of the relevant disaster
  • funds for repairs and replacements when this amount is lower than the premium excess set by the insurance provider
  • excess coverage for insurance claims

Please note costs recovered through insurance claim payments or other sources are not eligible under this program.

More info:

Physical Health Risks

Visit the Queensland Government Disaster Recovery Support page for information about physical health. Physical health | Community support | Queensland Government (

  • Mould
  • Bacterial infections
  • Mosquitoes and black flies
  • Flood water contamination
  • Medicines and poison disposal
  • Food and drinking water
  • Asbestos

Wellbeing Support

Free, digital psychological care with MindSpot

MindSpot provides free, anonymous assessment and treatment for adults experiencing stress, anxiety, depression, OCD, PTSD, and chronic pain. MindSpot Support Australian adults with free, confidential psychological assessments and treatments, and access to qualified therapists.

After you have completed a free assessment at MindSpot, you can choose from different treatment options to help you to recover from depression or anxiety and stress.

MindSpot are funded by the Australian Government and all services are free. For more information, please visit: MindSpot – Online Mental Health Support or phone 1800 61 44 34 (8am-8pm AEST) for confidential support.

Red Cross 

Access additional support from the Red Cross – information addressing the practical aspects of responding and recovery (such as How to help after a disaster ), as well as psychosocial and well-being needs (such as Dealing with the stress of an emergency and Looking after yourself and your family after a disaster).


Lifeline offers 24/7 Crisis Support via phone 13 11 14, online chat Lifeline Crisis Online Chat Service | Lifeline Australia or text message 0477 13 11 44.

Community Recovery Support Services FNQ

A comprehensive list of Regional Community Support Services in the Mareeba District is available here: Community Support Services Brochure Mareeba (

Rural Health Connect – Psychology Services

Rural Health Connect is a platform that links people to psychologists over video and phone calls. Affordable or free access to support is provided.

Further information is available by visiting: Connects Rural Australia to Mental Health Services (

For appointment assistance, please phone: 0493 432 144 or 0493 201 005

Beyond Blue

Talk or chat online to a counsellor

If you’re going through a hard time right now, the Beyond Blue Support Service is available 24/7 for brief counselling. Most calls last around 20 minutes.

Beyond Blue Counsellors will listen and help you find the extra mental health help you need. Get free, confidential counselling (local call costs apply):

Call a counsellor on 1300 22 4636 or Chat to a counsellor online. Accessibility and language support are available for telephone counselling.