Types of complaints
There are two types of complaints that are dealt with differently:
- Compliants about the services, decisions or actions of Council or about its staff. These complaints are handled by Council.
- Complaints about the actions, conduct or behaviour of the Mayor or a Councillor. These complaints are handled by a State agency.
Complaints about the Council or Staff
If you have a problem, issue or concern about the services, decisions or actions of Mareeba Shire Council or its staff, we would like to hear about it.
A complaint may be made:
- In person to a Customer Service Officer located at one of Council’s Customer Service Centres
- By telephone to Council’s general service number: 1300 308 461
- By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In writing by letter to:Chief Executive Officer
Mareeba Shire Council
PO Box 154
MAREEBA QLD 4880
If your complaint is handled by Council, you will need to provide:
- Your name, address and phone number – this information is kept confidential.
- Instance details – the date, time and source address.
- Anonymous complaints maybe lodged, however, please remember that this does not provide Council with an avenue to provide feedback to you (customer name is not mandatory)
Council handles all complaints in accordance with Council’s Administrative Action Complaint Policy.
Complaints about a Councillor
If the complaint is in relation to Inappropriate Conduct or Misconduct of the Mayor or a Councillor, as defined by the Code of Conduct for Councillors in Queensland the complaint must be referred to the State appointed Independent Assessor, whose contact details are set out below;
Office of the Independent Assessor
PO Box 15031
CITY EAST QLD 4002
If the complaint is in relation to Corrupt Conduct, as defined by the Code of Conduct for Councillors in Queensland the complaint must be referred to the Crime and Corruption Commissioner, whose contact details are set out below;
The Crime and Corruption Commissioner
Crime and Corruption Commission
GPO Box 3123
BRISBANE QLD 4001
Council has adopted and published an Investigation Policy about how it deals with complaints regarding Councillors that are referred back to it for investigation.
Council also keeps a Councillor Conduct Register which is available on its website and for viewing and inspection at Council’s Mareeba administration offices.
For further information, please contact Council’s Development and Governance department via email to email@example.com or by phone on 1300 308 461.