Submit a Complaint

If you have a problem, issue or concern about the services, decisions or actions of Mareeba Shire Council, we would like to hear about it.

A complaint may be made:

  • In person to a Customer Service Officer located at one of Council’s Customer Service Centres
  • By telephone to Council’s general service number: 1300 308 461
  • In writing by letter to:
    Chief Executive Officer
    Mareeba Shire Council
    PO Box 154
    MAREEBA  QLD  4880
  • By email to:

If your complaint is handled by Council, you will need to provide:

  • Your name, address and phone number – this information is kept confidential.
  • Instance details – the date, time and source address.

Anonymous complaints maybe lodged, however, please remember that this does not provide Council with an avenue to provide feedback to you (customer name is not mandatory).

Administrative Action Complaints Management Policy

Council has a Administrative Action Complaints Management Policy to ensure all complaints are dealt with in a fair and efficient manner. Your comments provide us with valuable feedback to allow for continuous customer service improvement. Your complaint will be managed in accordance with the principles of The Information Privacy Act 2009.

You can view Administrative Action Complaints Management Policy here.

What is a Complaint?

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction with the quality of the services Council has provided or is providing, examples of which may relate to:

  • the quality or standard of service delivered – poorly performed services;
  • failure to undertake an action;
  • failure to respond or communicate;
  • failure to fully action a request – only partially actioned or completed

What assistance is available to make a complaint?

If this information is not in your language, assistance is available by calling the National Translating and Interpreting Service (NTIS) on 131 450. Advise the NTIS of your preferred language and ask to speak with the Mareeba Shire Council on 1300 308 461.

If assistance is required because of a hearing or speech impairment, please contact the National Relay Service on 133 677. If you can speak and hear but sometimes people have trouble understanding you, the number to call at the Relay Service is 1300 555 727.

All complaints will be entered into Council’s Complaints Register. Any staff member or Councillor that receives a complaint must follow the procedure as set out in Council’s Complaints Management Policy.

How your complaint will be investigated

Council will direct your complaint to the responsible business area.

That business area will investigate the issue and respond directly to you
A Council Officer may contact you to discuss your concerns or to ask for further information
Council will respond to your complaint, giving the reasons for our view.
In some cases, your complaint may be reviewed by an independent Council Officer if other avenues of investigation have been exhausted.

How long will it take?

Council will do its best to resolve your complaint at ‘first point’ of contact. However, you should allow five days for your first contact, and depending on the nature and complexity of your complaint, it may take up to 45 days for your complaint to be dealt with. You should be aware that by lodging a complaint, the matter will not automatically be suspended or put on hold.

How can I take further action?

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint you may apply for an internal review of the decision. Requests for internal review should be made in writing, addressed for the attention of the Complaints Coordinator
and lodged using one of the following options:

  • By letter to:
    Mareeba Shire Council
    PO Box 154
    MAREEBA QLD 4880
  • By email to:

Alternatively, you may take the complaint to an external agency, such as the Queensland Ombudsman or seek a Judicial Review

Councillor Complaints

The Local Government Act 2009 has been amended to provide that the Minister must make a Code of Conduct for Councillors in Queensland that sets out the standards for the conduct of Councillors and Mayors in performing their duties effective from 3 December 2018.

A resulting requirement is that Council must adopt and publish an Investigation Policy about how it deals with referred complaints concerning Councillors.

Additionally, Council must keep a Councillor Conduct Register to be made available for website viewing and inspection by the public at Council’s Mareeba administration offices.

For further information, please contact Council’s Development and Governance department via email to or by phone on 1300 308 461 or 07 4086 4500.