Frequently Asked Questions

Why can’t I receive the discount if I only paid one day late? 

Council provides 30 days for arrangements to be made and several different payment options to ensure payments are received by the due date.  Information on the discount is provided on the back of the rate notice and is advertised across a number of media channels during the rating period. To ensure consistency and transparency with all property owners in the region, Council strictly follows the discount procedure as set out in the Revenue Statement and mentioned on the rate notice.

I have received a letter from Collection House regarding my outstanding rates. Why have I been sent this letter?

You may have been sent a letter from Council’s Debt Recovery Agency. This letter relates to your outstanding rates, where an arrangement to pay has not been entered into.

Can I still pay my rates in full if I have received a letter from Collection House? 

Yes, you can still pay your rates in full. Please contact Council via telephone or email to obtain the outstanding amount and you must make payment the same day.

Please note that Council staff will accept any payment towards your outstanding rates and charges, if you pay less than the full amount outstanding, you are still required to contact the recovery agent on your letter to make a payment arrangement.

Council staff are unable to discuss or make a new payment arrangement if you have received a letter from a recovery agent.

Why is the amount provided by Council different to the amount on the letter from the Recovery Agent? 

The amount provided by Council is the most recent amount outstanding including interest and legal charges.

What if I have sold my property?

Council updates property ownership transfers when we are notified by the Department of Resources. If you have recently sold your property and receive a Rate Notice, do not pay the notice as it will be billed to the new owner once we have been notified of the transfer. Please refer to your conveyancer if you have any questions. Please note this may take up to six weeks after settlement for Council to be advised of change of ownership.

Why have I received a supplementary rate notice?

Supplementary rate notices are issued by Council when there has been a change to the rating record since the last half-yearly rate notice.  Common adjustments are made to general rates and utility charges.  The changes are usually calculated on a pro-rata basis from the date the changes take effect.

Examples of general rates adjustments are:

  • Change in the rateable valuation of the property as issued by the Department of Resources, such as new valuations, cancelled valuations and increases or decreases.
  • Change of land use.
  • Reconfiguration of a lot including subdivisions.

Examples of utility / service adjustments are:

  • Commencement of a mobile bin service.
  • A variation in the number of mobile bins.
  • Adjustment of water/sewerage charges due to the completion of building or structures.

All adjustments processed are in accordance with section 109 to 115 of the Local Government Regulation 2012.

Why am I paying water and sewerage charges on my property which is vacant and not connected? 

Your property is capable of being connected to Council’s water and sewerage systems and these charges cover the costs of providing and maintain the systems ready for connection. You will not have been charged for any actual water use, as no water is entering or leaving the property.

Can I request a copy of previous rate notices?

Yes, to obtain a copy of your rate notice, the request may be submitted in writing, by email, in person or by telephone.  Copy of notices are only available to the ratepayer or by authority from the owner.

Are my rates subject to GST?

No, rates and charges that appear on your rate notice are exempt from GST.