Before beginning any type of work on buildings or structures, including new constructions, garages, carports, swimming pools, or erecting awnings, you are obliged to submit an application with plans and specifications for assessment and approval. Once you receive an official development approval or decision notice work may commence.

Works include erecting, adding to or altering, demolishing, removing or relocating any structures on your property.

Further information and relevant legislation is available here:

Please contact Council before proceeding with any building work.

Building Certification

Building certification involves independently checking and approving building work to ensure it complies with the safety, health, amenity and sustainability standards specified in legislation and building codes.

Mareeba Shire Council no longer offers building certification services, with exception for remote areas in the Shire. Residents within the highlighted zone (see map below) will be required to engage a private certifier.

Please Council’s building and plumbing department for further information.

Download Map

Building Development Permits

A list of building development permits issued can be downloaded below.

Driveways and/or Crossovers

A driveway is a vehicular crossing that provides safe and reasonable access to a property. The crossover is the section of the driveway that crosses the verge/footpath from the kerb/road edge to the property boundary.

The property owner is responsible for all costs, the standard of construction and all maintenance of the driveway and crossover. Modification of the kerb and channel, if required, is considered part of the driveway construction.

Access driveways from State Controlled Main Roads are administered by the Department of Main Roads.

Maintaining a Clean Building Site

Water contamination poses a serious impact on the environment. Builders, developers and residents have obligations to prevent the deposit or release of sand, sediment, silt, and rubbish or building materials into council gutters, stormwater drains and waterways from building sites.  It is the Principle Contractor’s responsibility to ensure they maintain a clean building site to prevent any potential contamination from entering a waterway.

Sustainable Housing

The Queensland Government has introduced new sustainable housing laws to improve the water and energy efficiency of our homes and encourage smarter design.

Click here to visit the Department of Housing and Public Works website for further information.

Pool Safety

The Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) is responsible for pool safety inspector licensing, compliance and disciplinary functions.

Pool safety register

All pools (and spas) in Queensland must be fenced and registered on the pool safety register.

The pool safety register includes a record of pools in Queensland, pool safety certificates issued and a list of all licensed pool safety inspectors.

If your pool isn’t registered you can be fined up to $2,356.

Register your pool or spa online, or by phoning the Queensland Building and Construction Commission on 139 333.

Check the register to see if your pool is already registered.

Find out more about registering your pool or spa.

Pool fences and safety barriers

Pool fences and safety barriers must be maintained to prevent young children from drowning or being seriously injured.

If you are a pool owner you must ensure:

  • your pool is fenced
  • pool fences or barriers are well maintained
  • any damage to fences or barriers is fixed immediately.

There is now 1 pool safety standard (PDF, 5.5MB), which has replaced 11 different standards.

Pool safety laws

Queensland’s pool safety laws were introduced in 2009 and apply to all pools—new and existing.

As of 1 December 2015, you must comply with the one pool safety standard.

Resources and more information

For more information, about pool safety inspector licensing, compliance and disciplinary functions, contact the QBCC on 139 333 or visit the QBCC website.

Fire Safety

Building fire safety laws establish specific requirements for budget accommodation buildings, including mandatory compliance with the Fire Safety Standard for pre-1992 buildings. Compliance with the standard for budget accommodation was required by 1 July 2005.

If you are an owner, or a business or a person, that is occupying, or managing a building in Queensland, you have a legal obligation to ensure the safety of any person in that building in the event of a fire or other emergency.

The QFES has developed The Fire Safety Management Tool for Owner/Occupier to assist owner/occupiers in managing their compliance with the Fire and Emergency Services Act 1990(FESA) and the Building Fire Safety Regulation 2008 (BFSR). The Advisory Notes provide further explanation and clarification of terms referenced. It is important to note that these two resources are guides only. Neither document indicates compliance with all requirements of FESA and the BFSR.

As a building owner or occupier, you are also required to ensure that Fire Safety Installations in the building comply with the requirements of Queensland Development Code Mandatory Part (QDC MP) 6.1. It is the building occupier’s responsibility to appoint and train a Fire Safety Adviser for buildings that are classified as high occupancy. A building is classed as High Occupancy if it is:

  • Class 2, 3, 5, 6, 7b, 8, 9a or 9b and a workplace where 30 or more workers are normally employed.
  • Class 2 or 3 and more than 25 metres in height.
  • Licensed premises that have been identified by the Commissioner as at risk of overcrowding.

Click here for further information.

Asbestos Awareness

We encourage homeowners to seek professional advice if they need to disturb or remove asbestos or be aware of how to work safely around it. They should also encourage any tradies working at their home to do the same. Anyone removing asbestos will also need to seek council advice about where and how they can safely dispose of asbestos waste.

Visit Queensland Government’s asbestos website –

Facebook and Twitter posts — and