Council has teamed up with the Early Warning Network (EWN) to provide residents of the Mareeba Shire access to an alerting system for severe weather and other emergency events. It uses publicly available information to provide subscribers with alerts relevant to their chosen location.
Alerts will come predominately by email and SMS, although there is the ability to send voice alerts as required. Residents are encouraged to join and in doing so become better prepared for emergency events. Please note the following:
The Mareeba Shire Council Early Warning Service is a service intended to provide to subscribers, via alert messages sent through the Early Warning Network (EWN) system, early warning of potential emergency and/or severe natural disaster and weather events relevant to a chosen location based on information from publicly available sources.
Council-initiated alert messages may be distributed, through the EWN system, to Mareeba Shire Council subscribers by, or at the request of, Mareeba Shire Council and/or the Mareeba Shire Local Disaster Management Group.
Whilst EWN and Mareeba Shire Council endeavour to provide a service of the highest possible quality, no such system can claim to be completely accurate or fail-safe. For that reason, if you subscribe to this warning alert service you acknowledge and accept that:
- reasonable endeavours will be taken to provide warning alerts to subscribers at the earliest opportunity
- the messaging media utilised is neither real-time nor instantaneous
- this service cannot be solely and wholly relied upon and other mediums such as radio, television and internet should be monitored to inform of potential events
You also expressly agree that Mareeba Shire Council and Look Here Pty Ltd ABN 55 122 940 176 trading as the Early Warning Network (the provider of the service) will not be responsible for any loss or damage suffered incurred or sustained by you in connection with this warning alert service. This includes, but is not limited to, any loss or damage arising from:
- the failure or delay in warning you of an event
- provision of an alert that warns of an event that fails to materialise
- the interpretation of the magnitude or severity of an event
- any inaccuracies in the predictions of the location of an event
For Mareeba Shire Council subscribers:
- you must be a resident within the Mareeba Shire Council Local Government Area
- there is a limit of one subscription per household, whether the ‘household’ is an apartment, townhouse, duplex or house.
When registering as a member, you must provide us with accurate, complete and up-to-date registration information, as requested. It is your responsibility to inform us of any changes to your registration information. Registrations associated with email addresses that are invalid, contain typographical errors, become disabled over time, or bounce with “mailbox full” errors may result in your account being disabled without notice. This will also stop SMS and landline alerts. It is your responsibility to inform us of any email, mobile phone, landline or address changes. You may do this logging into your account and making the changes, or sending an email to support.
If you do not have either a mobile or email address you can still register. Please contact the Mareeba Shire Council on 1300 308 461 for further information.