Would you like to join or start a Book Club?
Mareeba Shire Libraries will support your Community Book Club by providing you with our book sets. Each pack contains eight (8) copies of the one title, plus other book club material.
The Book Club Program is available to members of Mareeba Shire Council Library Service.
Library membership is FREE and joining is as easy as visiting the nearest branch of Mareeba Shire Council Library with proof of current residential address.
The Loan period for book club kits is six (6) weeks.
If Book Club members have not finished reading their designated book by the end of the loan, they may be able to borrow the same title from the library’s lending collection.
There is no cost to be a book club member. To download a copy of our Book Club brochure click here
Current list of Book Club Titles
To access the current list of Book Club titles click here.
How to reserve a Book club set
For instructions on how to reserve a Book Club set click here.
Tips for a successful Book Club:
- The process of organising and maintaining a book club is both rewarding and challenging. Listed are some quick tips to help with the success of your book club.
- Think about why you want to start a book club. Is it for literary discussion or social interaction? Are you looking for serious literary debate or light-hearted discussion?
- Invite friends to be members and ask them to invite one or two of their friends. Once your group is established you can recruit new members.
- Your group will function more effectively if you have guidelines on how books are selected, expected commitments, who hosts and who leads the discussions.
- Push yourself beyond saying ‘I liked it or I didn’t like it’.
- Trust your opinions, and support them with passages from the book.
- Be willing to read books that aren’t your usual choice
- Do a little research on unfamiliar subjects. Write down your reactions and questions as you read, and bring your notes to meetings.
- Agree that you can disagree about books and try to understand other opinions and viewpoints, especially when you disagree with them.
- Be challenged by the interaction and discussion with fellow book lovers.
- Enjoy yourself!
Book Club Links
To find out more information about Book Clubs click here
Expressions of Interest
Library members wishing to form or join an existing MSC Book Club can register their interest with MSC by visiting or telephoning their local library.