CHILLAGOE residents are being urged to reduce their water usage as the town’s water capacity is at a critical level.
Council has imposed Level 3 water restrictions for residents connected to the town’s water supply in Chillagoe, effective today (November 1).
Although the Chillagoe Township is fed from three bores, the water supply is reaching a critically low level.
Mayor Tom Gilmore said unfortunately one of the bores failed last week due to a lack of water and another pump is currently being assessed and will undergo emergency repairs should it be deemed necessary.
“The town cannot survive with one bore which is already struggling to produce its maximum yield,” Cr Gilmore said.
“Without intervention, there is a very real chance that bore three may run dry and Council cannot take this risk.”
Council has moved swiftly to monitor and assess the town’s water capacity, deciding to introduce immediate Level 3 water restrictions as a precautionary measure. These restrictions will remain in place until further notice.
“For Council officers to adequately address the issue of a restricted water supply from the underground aquifer in Chillagoe, Level 3 Water Restrictions will be imposed in the township of Chillagoe to ensure continuity of water supply to the residents of Chillagoe,” Cr Gilmore said.
Under Level 3 water restrictions:
- Watering of private gardens by manual or automated sprinklers, micro spray or drop watering systems is prohibited on Mondays.
- Odd numbered houses may only use sprinklers on Tuesdays and Saturdays between 6am to 7am and 6pm to 7pm.
- Even numbered houses may only use sprinklers on Wednesdays and Sundays between 6am to 7am and 6pm to 7pm.
- Hand-held hoses fitted with a trigger nozzle can be used on any day except Mondays.
- Watering cans or buckets can be used at any time.
- Fountains must not operate unless using recycled water.
- Hosing of paved areas is prohibited unless cleaning is required as a result of an accident, fire, health hazard or emergency.
- Water must not be used to clean windows unless by way of a bucket or watering can.