Under Section 29 of the Disaster Management Act 2003, Mareeba Shire Council must establish a Local Disaster Management Group (LDMG) for the local government area.
Download the Local Disaster Management Plan
The Mareeba LDMG is chaired by the Mayor of Mareeba Shire Council. The Mayor’s role is to manage and coordinate the business of the group; to ensure as far as practicable that the group performs its functions and to report regularly to the district group about the performance of the Mareeba LDMG.
Membership of the Mareeba LDMG is drawn from the following agencies:
- Mareeba Shire Council
- Queensland Police Service
- Queensland Fire & Rescue Service
- Queensland Ambulance Service
- Emergency Management Queensland
- Queensland Health
- Economic Sub Group Chair
- Public Health & Environment Sub Group Chair
- Built Environment & Infrastructure Sub Group Chair
- Community Support Sub Group Chair
Additionally, the LDMG has a number of Advisory Members as follows:
- Media Officer
- ATGIS Officer
- Recovery Coordinator
- Ergon Energy
Local Disaster Management Group Meetings
The Mareeba Shire LDMG will meet regularly to develop strategies to respond to disasters should they occur and to mitigate the effects of disasters on the community wherever possible. During November to April (wet season) the LDMG will meet on a monthly basis. At all other times of the year the LDMG meets as regularly as required.
Functions of a Local Disaster Management Group
- Ensure that disaster management and disaster operations in the area are consistent with the State group’s strategic policy framework for disaster management for the State;
- Develop effective disaster management, and regularly review and assess the disaster management;
- Help the local government for its area to prepare a local disaster management plan;
- Identify, and provide advice to the relevant district group about, support services required by the local group to facilitate disaster management and disaster operations in the area;
- Ensure the community is aware of ways of mitigating the adverse effects of an event, and preparing for, responding to and recovering from a disaster;
- Manage disaster operations in the area under policies and procedures decided by the State group;
- Provide reports and make recommendations to the relevant district group about matters relating to disaster to identify, and coordinate the use of, resources that may be used for disaster operations in the area;
- Establish and review communications systems in the group, and with the relevant district group and other local groups in the disaster district of the relevant district group, for use when a disaster happens;
- Ensure information about a disaster in the area is promptly given to the relevant district group;
- Perform other functions given to the group under this Act or functions incidental to a function mentioned.