Mareeba Shire Council is encouraging all residents and business owners to participate in ‘Plastic Free July’
Plastic Free July aims to raise awareness of the problems with single-use disposable plastic and challenges people to do something about it.
How to get started with the #choosetorefuse challenge this Plastic Free July:
Sign up to be counted and we’ll email you tips and recipes throughout July.
Take the Pesky Plastics Quiz to help you track down where your plastics come from.
Choose what you will do:
- avoiding the plastics that seem to fill your recycling bin;
- targeting the takeaway items that could end up in the ocean;
- going completely plastic free (finding alternatives to everything) for a day, week, month or more.Check out the Action Picker for more Plastic Free July ideas.
Spread the word through:
- Chatting with and challenging friends;
- Running a plastic free morning tea;
- Posting your successes on social media;
- Posting the challenge the old fashion way (with posters about town);
- Asking your local café or shop to seek alternatives;
- Pressing for policy change on container deposits, packaging standards, bag bans or action to outlaw microbeads.
Share your success by tallying up the plastics you ‘saved’ and tagging us @plasticfreejuly on social media.
The following businesses are taking up the challenge!
- Skybury Coffee Bar- Byrnes St, Mareeba
- Cafe Trieste – IGA Complex, Mareeba
- Courtyard Cafe’ and Takeaway – Hort Street, Mareeba
- Vincenzo’s Coffee Lounge – Post Office Centre, Mareeba
- Cafe’ Lu – Mareeba Square
- Mareeba Deli and Well Being Cafe- Byrnes Street, Mareeba
- Cafe’ Crema, Mareeba